Thermal Interface Materials on Medical Electronics Application
Sinoguide Technology developed TCP series thermal interface materials (TIMs) fulfill specific application requirements within the broad range of electronic modules and systems incorporated in medical imaging and other medical electronics systems. Through multi-years serving for customer thermal management demands, Sinoguide Technology understand how recommend the TIM materials.
Thermal interface materials are a low-cost but critical factor that determines system life and reliability for those components that dissipate some energy as heat due to inefficiencies. The TIM is intended to minimize the thermal barrier that exists between the surface of a microprocessor, for example, and an attached heat-sink. Measurement of this barrier is generally expressed as a value for thermal resistance between two mating surfaces (semiconductor case and heat-sink base). Minimizing the resistance value reduces potential for semiconductor overheating, resulting in increased reliability during system operation and increased life. Excessive operating temperature is generally acknowledged as the cause of early component failure. The amount of power dissipated as waste heat due to inefficiency at the device level can range from a fraction of a watt to tens or hundreds of watts, depending on the specifics of the semiconductor and the intended operation.
A range of applications for thermal interface materials may exist within a single complex medical electronics system. Categories of semiconductor devices that are heat sources within medical electronics generally can be identified as:
· Microprocessors, graphics processors, and other integrated circuits for computing, sensing, and image processing;
· Power supplies and power semiconductors (mounted on a printed circuit board or as a system power supply);
· DC-DC converters, board level;
· RF power devices in gradient amplifiers in CT scanners;
· Detector components in CT scanners;
· Diode lasers and laser bars for surgical laser systems;
· LED, halogen, and incandescent light sources for surgical lamps and operating theater lighting fixtures;
· Motor controllers, drivers, and related components for scanner servo motors and drive motors;
· Motor controllers for liquid pumps and filtration systems; or
· Imaging system tube and related power components.
Thermal design for medical imaging and surgical systems includes extensive use of thermal interface materials within large systems. Heat dissipation and thermal solutions exist across a wide range of different types of heat source interfaces. Selection of Sinoguide Technology TIMs is critical for the reliable system design and product life key to medical electronics systems.
For more information, call Sinoguide Technology at +86-755-89375091 or email Sales@sinoguide.com.